Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Way I am...

By the next month, I will has been here United States for one year.
I wanna reminiscence the days I spent in here.


Whenever people asked me why did I come to America, I always said that I came here to study English.
It is true, but that is not the real reason.

Before I came to here, I had finished my duty for the military in my country, South Korea.
I was lucky.  I experienced various things that I had never before, and I though that I had grown up.
But, still I couldn't find an answer for The Way I am...

I wanted to know what kind of a person I am...
That's the real reason why I came to America.
I wanted to know who am I, and what is the life...

Before I came to here, I made a pact with myself that I will live by myself in America.
Ten days after I landed here, I got a part time job to live by myself.
I knew I am not allowed to get a job, but I got a job. (Sorry...)

For the six months that I spent in GTLI, I worked everyday, and I was being different from others.
Even there were many Korean students, I couldn't melt in those groups.
I felt jealous of other students' lives. I never had a free time.
I was hopeless at that time.
And the most problem was that I was alone, and I was lonely...

At those days, I wasn't sure about myself.
"Am I doing right?", "What have I done?'
"Did I accomplished something in here?"
Those questions were always in my head.
And then, I thought that the whole things in here was a mistake.
I just wanted to forger everything and wanted to go back to my country.
I have hit the bottom of the barrel at that time.

At that very moment I realized.
This is not me.  This is not the person who I know.
This is not The Way I am...

Paradoxically, I smiled at that moment.
I was totally forget about the only pros that I have.
(sorry, it's a secret...) The fact that I'm just 22.
The moment that I wanted to go back to my country was the big turning point.



Today, I finished my first semester in Georgia Perimeter College.
When I heading back to my house, I tried to summarize my days in America.
I wasn't really proud of myself for the most of days in here, but at least the last months
I'm satisfying about my self.
I assumed that those days were a mistake, but I thought that maybe there are some mistakes
that are needed for my life.  And yes I have hit the bottom, so now the only thing left is
ascending...

The Way I am... maybe we already know about that... maybe we just forget about it...



Maybe I should not posted this whole thing because there is no creativity in this paragraph...
I miss my creative writing class... I just wanted to inform that I'm still alive...
I hope I can see Ruth, and my classmates...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jinyoung!
    I miss creative writing class, too
    Best class ever at GT!

    I'm so glad to see what you feel about these days in the U.S. because sometimes I felt the same way that I was here but I'm not immersing to here at all.

    However, I wanna say "Don't feel any part of your life is a mistake because this part will come back in your later life in some ways (no one knows it now)and you will fulfill about what you had done!!! Absolutely"

    =) see you at GPC again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most international students have this kind of feeling,but if you overcome it, you are succeed.

    Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Pitcher of Guts! You are so brave to feel, experience, and write about your JOURNEY! Each of us is a creative force to be reckoned with! I LOVE it that you chose to BLOG about your LIFE as you know it! Congratulations on completing your first semester at GPC. I imagine you are in the middle of a second one right now! Right more about your life here in the US! I agree with YuChieh...mistakes, successes... ALL of these are LIFE!

    Thanks for saying hi and for soul blogging with me!

    ReplyDelete